Sunday, November 15, 2015

When The Rose Turns Blue

        “Nothing is for certain…nothing lasts forever…” Truer words were never spoken within this Outkast record from their 1998 album Aquemini. We are all familiar with the uncertainty of all aspects of life, and how nothing, not even life itself lasts forever. The marriage between once beloved Chicago native Derrick Rose and the Bulls is no exception. While this has been brewing for some time, it was never more evident than during his comments about free agency. Rose is quoted as saying, I want to be here, but when you talk about that much money, the only thing you can do is prepare for it. I’m trying to prepare, not only myself, but my family. And I’m doing this all for my son. Like I said, I’m thinking about his future. Even though we’re alright, we’re comfortable, when you talk about that x-amount of dollars, I think it raises everyone’s eyebrows, so there’s nothing wrong with being over-prepared.”

            Now on the surface, the comments sound like nothing more than a typical professional athlete eager to test the market and find out just how much teams will pay for his services. But in the case of Rose, these comments are much more. These comments are essentially a backhanded way of saying to hell with this franchise. To hell with the fact that I’ve still got two years and $41 million left on a five year $94 million deal. To hell with the fact that I missed all of the 2012-2013 season and an overwhelming majority of the 2013-2014 season with injuries. To hell with the fact that I didn’t miss a single paycheck in the midst of this extremely prolonged time off. To hell with all the guys who supported me throughout my difficult trials and tribulations. Despite all of this, I couldn’t care less about doing focusing solely on putting in work while wearing a Bulls uniform. My focus is on who will pay me the most.

            While this harsh reality is heartbreaking for fans, it is still a reality nonetheless. Derrick Rose is no longer the reserved, humble “Pooh,” he was once known as while coming up on the South Side of Chicago. He’s no longer the supremely gifted freshman who fell just short of leading Memphis to a national title over Kansas. He’s no longer the young kid who attributed much of his success and MVP season to his mother and brother. He’s no longer the once explosive, supremely athletic, dangerous crossover point guard we once knew. He is now a 27-year-old player with two serious knee injuries before 30 and an extremely questionable ability to remain healthy for a full season and an arrogant money chaser reminiscent of Latrell Sprewell’s rejection of a 3 year $21 million extension by Minnesota. He claims, “His family is all right. We’re comfortable.”

            Well, if that’s really true, then why search for more? Why look other places? Why not attempt to finish what you started with Chicago? Why not prove you can beat LeBron James in the playoffs whether he’s wearing a Cleveland or Miami uniform? Why not strive to bring the first NBA title back to the windy city since 98? The answer to those and several other questions lie in the paragraph above. As far as making sure his son and his family are well taken care of, who can’t get by…no wait…who can’t excel on the $185 million contract he has with Adidas? Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

              It all boils down to a few things. This is the last chance for Chicago to make a title run with this lineup. If it doesn’t happen this year (which it likely won’t), it’s time to disband this group of Bulls. Starting with Rose. If consistent payment of millions for NOT playing, dealing with his overly opinionated brother taking issue with the front office’s moves or lack thereof, and dealing with Rose’s propensity for injuries aren’t enough to make him focus on being the best he can be while in a Chicago uniform, then nothing will be, and it’s time to cut ties and move on. If not for any of the previously mentioned reasons, then simply do it because nothing lasts forever and sometimes the sooner the separation, the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment